Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A None-Auto Crash


I came to work early today.

As I set down my handbag and got myself a cup of coffee, I switched on my computer to start the day.

The monitor showed the customary greetings, the blue screen, the log-on screen.

I typed down my password and press enter.

It goes into live mode.

The desktop icons appeared and the monitor screen was filled with the MSM Messenger logging pop-up.

As usual, I turned my MSM pop-up off. Later on, I will let the rest of the world know that I am already at work. Now, it's time to check emails.

I double clicked the IE icon and the monitor burst into a few unknown pop-ups.

Some in chinese, so in unknown languages.

It goes for a few pop-ups until it finally showed one that says one of my .DLL thingy is not available. And that Windows will auto shut-down.

I sigh with exasperation and let it do what it said it will do: shut down.

When the monitor when blank, I press the 'on' button and it goes into the mode again.

But this time, i know something is very wrong when the pop-ups appeared.

"Call the technician. my pc has been infected," I said to my assistant and she quickly goes into action.

As I wait for the techie to check my pc out, I am doing this using the laptop. My computer has been silent the whole morning.

Lesson learnt?

FIrst: The efficiency of my assistant in doing what needs to be done because she knows I dislike waiting to know the outcome of something.

Second: That being a computer on loan i.e. belonging to the company, office equipment are never really yours and others have the right to use it as and when they like.

Third: Which is why passwords are important because that help protect your work although someone else is using your pc.

So, happy crashing day!

No comments: