Monday, September 13, 2004

Do You Remember When...


The Tower then

Today is September 13. Two days ago was the third anniversary of 9/11. Do you remember what you were doing when you first heard the news?

I do.

It was in the morning (of course). I had just dropped my husband off at his office and was making my way towards Jalan Sultan Ismail from Jalan Raja Chulan. The whole way from home, I had remarked to my husband that The Monring Crew (who then comprised of Lil' Kev and Fly Guy) of Hitz.Fm were not very funky today -- their selection of songs were not too 'happy' and neither one of them were very 'chatty' (for reasons that was still unknown to me).

As I stopped at the traffic light in front of the Wisma Genting, the voice of Lil' kev came on air and he announced the attacks on the Twin Towers.

At that moment, my heart stopped. I could see from the corner of my eyes that somehow, everything seems to go on slow-mo.

The cars were movving more slowly, the lady crossing in front of my car wa walking more slowly, more lethargically. Even I felt tired suddenly.

And all the way to my (former) office in Sentul, I thought and prayed to all involved -- rescuers, 'doers', families and loved ones.

I have a postcard of NY City with similar view of the towers as the picture above. How ironic. Maybe someday, this postcard will be worth a million bucks?

No comments: