Friday, August 04, 2006

Early Morning's Lesson in Integrity...

This morning I attended an Open Forum organized by the National Special Committee on Integrity at Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN) / State Legislative Building. I was not keen to go because had intended to do stuffs requiring my attention prior to my being away next week, but colleagues persuaded me to go. I agreed after one of them said he will be the driver-designate for this ‘trip’.

The forum was held at the DUN Building at Petra Jaya. Frankly, this is the first time that I stepped into the building. Now I know why the state government is building another State Legislative Building; the condition of the building is such an eyesore and a real shame. Anyway, that’s another story…

The function of the forum, to use the words of the circular we receive, were… “to discuss issues on enhancing values, ethics and integrity amongst the Malaysian community as cited in the National Integrity Plan….”

The full text of the committees functions as well as the Malaysian National Integrity Plan are as below

http://www.parlimen.gov.my/transfer/Pemberitahu_JK_Pilihan_Khas_Integriti.pdf

http://www.parlimen.gov.my/transfer/Ringkasan_Mengenai_Pelan_Integriti_Nasional.pdf

Please be warned, the text are in Bahasa Malaysia.

What did I think of the session?
Interesting.

What needs to be improved about the session?
1/. Ample notice to the public about the proposed forum so that more will attend, be prepared with issues etc.
2/. Organised it in a more public place and with easy(ier) access in terms of transport etc.


All in all, it is a good effort by the government of Malaysia. Having said that, I am certain that as in all things concerning the government, it will go on its full cycle before coming back to the main source, unresolved.

‘Nuff said….

No comments: